BUS 5211: Managing in the Global Economy, University of the People
Unit 2 Written Assignment
In Chapter 7 of your textbook, Cultural Intelligence for Leaders, please read Case Study 9: Faith and Health.
Please be sure to particularly address the following questions related to the case:
- Using what you know about cultural intelligence, analyze the situation in terms of national, regional and individual levels.
- For each of the five behaviors and needs outlined, find a strategy, or strategies, to resolve the issues. Utilize the basics of developing and practicing cultural strategic thinking within the Unit 2 reading.
- Determine how the hospital can increase their cultural strategic thinking to ensure patients are addressed with care and compassion regardless of their individual culture and beliefs.
Submit a 2-3 page paper, (independent of the title page and reference page) double-spaced in Times New Roman (or its equivalent) font which is no greater than 12 points in size. The paper should cite at least 1 additional source, independent of the textbook. Be sure to use APA format.
Before beginning this assignment, read the General Guidelines for Case Studies and review the Case Analysis Rubric available in the Learning Guide.
Grade: 79.2/90 (734 words)
This case study is taken place in a Hospital in German. Abdul Hadi is a patient and Muslim, and Anna is his nurse. They experienced difficulties that occurred due to cultural differences. I begin by describing the basic concept of cultural intelligence and will introduce the national, regional, and individual levels. Next, I show strategies to resolve the issues with cultural strategic thinking. Finally, I propose the hospital increase its cultural strategic thinking to ensure patients are addressed with care and compassion regardless of their culture and beliefs.
Cultural intelligence (CQ)
Anna is increasingly frustrated with Abdul's behavior and his needs. Most of the frustrations were caused by religion and Islamic faith, and in this case, knowing "cultural intelligence" is essential to finding solutions. Cultural intelligence is the "ability to adapt to unfamiliar cultural settings" (Cultural intelligence for leaders, 2012). It is helpful to understand culture by dividing it into five levels and sublevels: national, regional, organizational, team, and individual. (Cultural intelligence for leaders, 2012) I will analyze the situation mainly at the national, regional, and individual levels.
Culture levels: national, regional, and individual
More than 60 percent of Germans are Christians (Catholics, and Protestants). The estimates for Muslims in Germany are only about 3 percent. All other religions are only one percent of the German population. Roughly 35 percent of Germans are non-religious. (The German Way & More, n.d.) At the national level, German culture is mainly affected by Christians. It means that ordinary Germans are unfamiliar with the Islamic faith. There is no information regarding the regional level in this case study, so I will not mention and analyze it.
At the individual level, Anna struggled to overcome the cultural differences. It seems complicated for her to solve the problems. However, most of the issues are not caused by her fault. There are no problems that occurred with her attitude or behavior. As stated above, over 60 percent of Germans are Catholics or Protestants, and roughly 35 percent are non-religious. Therefore, it is not her fault if she lacks knowledge about the Islamic faith.
The Analysis of 5 problems
- When Abdul wants to get up from the bed, he refuses Anna's help. The Islamic faith causes Abdul's behavior. Attum et al. (2022) insisted that "Muslim patients place a lot of emphasis on privacy and modesty. Ideally, it is best if they are cared for by a clinician and nurse of the same gender." The number of male nurses in the hospital is not enough to support Abdul.
- Medication provided to him must not contain pork products or alcoholic substances.
- Abdul Hadi also has special dietary needs. It is hard to find food that fits his needs.
- Abdul Hadi has many relatives that visit him. The visits caused the noise, and other patients complained about it. This problem is an individual-level problem, so persuading them is essential.
- As a Muslim, he needs a prayer space. (Cultural intelligence for leaders, 2012)
Most of the problems are caused by the lack of a hospital support system, not Anna's individual fault. Therefore, I will introduce the proposal to the hospital managers.
Proposal for the hospital to improve cultural strategic thinking
Among many specific techniques for strengthening cultural strategic thinking, I suggest hospital managers gain cultural knowledge and find a coach or mentor as the first step. (Cultural intelligence for leaders, 2012). All problems excluding #4 are needed changing in the hospital.
Problem #1 could be solved by hiring more male nurses.
Problem #2 should be solved by modifying the operation manual of the medication.
Problem #3 will be solved by hiring a Halal food chef or establishing partnerships with halal food providers.
Problem #5 can be solved by setting up a prayer room on the hospital grounds. These four problems can be solved when managers can gain knowledge of Islamic law and the inconvenience of Muslims due to the lack of a hospital support system.
In this case study, Anna, one of the hospital's nurses, experienced difficulties when she supported her Muslim patient. At first glance, it seems the problem between Anna and her patient. However, the culture-level analysis and problem analysis revealed most of the issues would be solved by changing the hospital's support systems. For that, managers are required to improve their cultural strategic thinking. Therefore, as a first step, I suggest managers gain correct information about Islamic law to resolve hospital problems.
Attum, B., Hafiz, S., Malik, A., & Shamoon, Z. (2022, March 19). Cultural Competence in the Care of Muslim Patients and Their Families. National Library of Medicine. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK499933/#:~:text=Touch%20between%20members%20of%20the,a%20clinical%20examination%20or%20procedure.
Cultural intelligence for leaders (2012, December 29). Lardbucket. Retrieved from https://2012books.lardbucket.org/pdfs/cultural-intelligence-for-leaders.pdf licensed under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0
The German Way & More. (n.d.). Religion in German. Retrieved from https://www.german-way.com/history-and-culture/germany/religion-in-germany/